Farm History

Mainstone Farm 1945

Mainstone Farm 1945

The story begins in 1871, when William Perkins drove from his home in Brookline to Wayland by carriage, in three hours, in order to purchase 700 acres of land that was to be called Mainstone Farm. The name came from a small farm in Wales. Three years later, he bought a bull and seven cows from the channel Island of Guernsey and began the first Guernsey dairy herd in America. The farm has been in the Hamlen family ever since and is now one of the few operating farms in the Boston area.

The Guernsey herd grew to 150 milking cows and by the 1950’s, the farm had its own milk route. However, in 1962, the main barn was destroyed by fire and the family decided that it was no longer practical to maintain the dairy farm.

During the 1970’s, an Arabian horse operation was started and Mr. Hyman Schick, from Watertown Dairy, in Wayland, farmed hundreds of acres of sweet corn.

In the 1980’s, a rare Belted Galloway beef herd was started and grew to over 40 head of cattle. Now, the “Belties” have been joined with Devon Cattle and the herd is now over 60 head.

During the last decade, the American consumer has realized that the “manufactured” beef process from factory farms leads to major health issues and the public has gradually turned to organically grown beef, meat and other products.

Realizing this change, Mainstone Farm evolved into more environmentally friendly farm, offering a wide variety of naturally grown products.

Bookmark the permalink.